Mountain Province, the Center of the CAR Region

Rice Terraces in Barling By SU Linguist at English Wikipedia – Transferred from en.wikipedia to Commons by Zebulon84., Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=20864697

Mountain Province in the Philippines is a landlocked area located in the Cordillera Administrative Region in Luzon, it is known as the center of the region.

The municipality of Bontoc, is the provincial capital of the Mountain Province, and is a hub of activity where you can explore local museums like the Bontoc Museum, which offers insights into the local history and culture. Near Bontoc, the main tourist attraction is the Maligcong Rice Terraces, which are often considered the most beautiful in the Philippines, rivalling even the famous Banaue Rice Terraces.

Known for its rugged and mountainous terrain, of which it is 83% mountainous and the other 17% is either hilly or flat; it is a place of natural beauty, boasting picturesque landscapes including traditional rice terraces, which are a common sight.

The people of Mountain Province, known as Igorots, have preserved much of their indigenous culture despite the influence of Spanish colonization and modernization. They are known for their colorful woven fabrics, wood carving skills, and age-old customs that are still practiced today. The annual Lang-ay Festival showcases these traditions, featuring street dances, agricultural products, and crafts.

Another picturesque location is Sagada, a town famous for its unique hanging coffins. This traditional burial method involves suspending coffins on the side of cliffs, and it is a practice that continues to fascinate visitors from around the world. Sagada also offers other attractions like the Sumaguing and Lumiang Caves, which are popular for spelunking, and the serene Echo Valley.

For the adventurous, Mountain Province presents many hiking opportunities, including treks to Mt. Kalawitan and Mt. Amuyao, both known for their challenging trails and stunning panoramic views. The cool climate and natural beauty of the mountains make Mountain Province a perfect getaway for those looking to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.

Ecotourism is significant in this region, and efforts are in place to maintain sustainability while allowing visitors to experience its natural and cultural wealth. A visit to Mountain Province is a journey into a world where ancient practices and modern life coexist, and the beauty of the Cordillera mountains continues to stand the test of time.

When traveling you may need to purchase a few items before you come like a new camera or laptop. It is always a good Idea to be prepared. Also read my blog on What Should You Buy Before Travelling? – Philippine Tourism and Statistics (turistasapilipinas.com)

300*250

Need help with your vacation plans to the Philippines? Try Trip.com https://trip.tp.st/W3OZCFWl

by Great Man of the Universe

Leave a Reply

Translate »
Scroll to Top